BEDS, DROP SIDES, TILTS & COVERED WAGONS
LIGHT VANS (OVER 9 CWT)
MINOR VANS (UP TO 9 CWT)
DEPOTS AND STUDD St. STORES
Whilst the original GPO telephone vehicle livery colour was
green, the Road Haulage fleet of the Motor Transport Department were
painted red when they merged with the Stores Department fleet in the
mid 1950's. The Road haulage fleet was formed in 1946 when the
railway companies requested cessation of stores by rail due to
shortage of storage capacity.
The rest of the fleet before 1969 were coloured:-
Telephones - Mid Bronze Green, BS381C shade 223.
Postal - Pillar Box Red, BS381C shade 538.
In 1969 the Post Office was separated into two businesses and both
colours changed to:-
Telephones - Golden Yellow, BS381C shade 356.
Postal - Service Red, BS381C shade 539.
The Telecoms fleet had already adopted Yellow as the livery colour
around 1967, due to road safety concerns.
|The pictures in the vehicle section are
provided courtesy of the GPO, the Post Office and British Telecommunications
These pages cover only Engineering Department vehicles.
If you cannot find the vehicle in the obvious section, then try the
Many of the pictures were taken around Olympic Way, Wembley, London (next to
what was Wembley Stadium) - so look out for the Art Deco buildings, as
they should be seen and not how they look today!
For more information on GPO/PO/BT vehicles please go to the Post
Office Vehicle Club web site.
Many thanks must go to Bill Aldridge for his assistance
on these pages as he has provided much of the captions and explanatory