TELEPHONE MANUFACTURING Co. (TMC)
TMC produced this compact telephone for Telephone Rentals and probably other
This telephones has two capacitors (in the same casing) an induction coil and
bell on the base plate.
In the body of the phone is an 8 way style terminal array with only 6 terminal connections and unlike Ericsson and GEC compacts, is the only terminal block within the phone. The terminal block has screws instead of nuts. Sometimes there is an insert fitted in terminal 7 but is will have no screw and no wiring connected to it.
The base plate accommodates the capacitor, the bell ringer, bell gongs (barrel shaped) and induction coil. The base plate also has oblong slots covered with mesh, which stop insects and foreign objects entering the telephone.
The case is straight edged at the bottom, has a full size base plate and two cable entry holes on the rear, which have ebonite grommets.
Very similar to the S52596 except the S52597 terminal block has only 6 connections.
The cylindrical capacitor, which is the GPO Capacitor M.C. 97, was introduced circa 1947, whilst PVC insulated wire was first used in telphones in the late 1940's.
Click here for more information on compact telephones.
Rear view - note the twin cable entry holes with ebonite grommets
View of the base plate - 5 oblong sound exit slots covered with mesh
Internal view of the case - No components are mounted within the case
Internal view of the base plate showing components
Capacitor markings - In this case there is no date
The "TR" symbol is found on the handsets of phones produced for Telephone Rentals
Last revised: January 07, 2023