Kiosk No. 1 was introduced
in 1921, the
first standard British Post Office design and primarily intended for use as an
open-air public call office in rural areas, later superseded by the No.
3. It was designed by the Engineering Department of the Post
It was similar in design to the old wooden-box call offices, but was made up from three sections of reinforced concrete and fitted with a wooden door with the two sides and front containing glass panels. Once the kiosk had been constructed it could then be painted any colour to meet local conditions.
The telephone signs and spire bracket are fitted onto the roof after site installation.
The Mark 234 version was produced between 1921 and 1922.
An initial contract had been placed with Somerville & Company in March 1920 for the supply of 50 kiosks at a price of £35 each - this was reduced to £15 in following years because of demand. In 1928 the cost had dropped to approximately £13.12.6.
Based on the Mark 234, the most distinctive feature of the Mark 235 kiosk was the fitment of spear-like finial on the roof, and telephone signs. Produced between 1922 and 1927.
The Mark 236, produced between 1927 and 1929, has glazed windows on two sides and the door, which made the interior lighter. The roof signs are similar to the Mark 235 except that the roof mounted signs are reduced in height.
Although the kiosk was quite successful, it was considered that a better design could be found. Eventually by 1931 the installation of the No. 1 in rural areas was discontinued.
Inside and outside treated roof with two coats of cream Snowcem or one coat of stipple
paint to window frames and whole of door painted in Red 539.
Last revised: February 03, 2020