Australian Post Office
Telephone No. 133MW


This type of magneto telephone was made by Stromberg-Carlson (USA) and was initially introduced in 1918.  The first version, the 33MW, had a solid back transmitter and a lightning arrestor.

The Commonwealth National Railways also used this model on the Trans-Australia Line which was completed in 1918.

During the 1930's many 33MW were rebuilt in the PMG workshops and fitted with an insert transmitter and a standard receiver.  This version was reclassified as the133MW.

During WWII some 33MW and 133MW were rebuilt in the PMG workshops and fitted with a No.164 handset.  This version was reclassified as the 233MW.

Source: Substation Equipment Handbook 1951

See also Telephone 33MW

 

 
BACK Home page BT/GPO Telephones Search the Site Ericsson Telephones Quick Find Australian Telephones

Last revised March 31, 2010

FM2